Living with a toddler we go through a lot of Mac and Cheese, but somehow we never finish a box completely.
I would make a box for Ziya’s lunch or dinner and she would have it for a meal or two but 80 percent of the cooked box would still sit in the fridge. Too bland for my husband and I, it would eventually go in the trash a couple days later. Eventually I got tired of throwing away so much food so decided to transform it for my husbands lunch and by some chance happened on this amazing twist.
- 1 box of Mac and Cheese prepared per box instructions
- 1 small onion diced fine
- 1/4 diced bell pepper
- 4 Thai Chilis chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 inch of ginger minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 sliced Amul cheese or American cheese
- 1 tablespoon oil for cooking
- Prepare box of mac and cheese per package instructions. (We use Annie's shells but you can use your favorite)
- Heat nonstick pot on medium low heat, add oil.
- Add diced onion, bell pepper, ginger, garlic, and thai chilis and cook until translucent and soft, you don't want it to brown.
- Add turmeric, red chili powder, ground cumin, and garam masala and cook for 30 seconds, make sure the spices don't burn.
- Add prepared mac and cheese along with a quarter cup of water.
- Let everything heat up and cook on low heat for 2 minutes.
- Slowly add your slices of cheese and stir until it melts.
- Serve it hot and enjoy.
I make this with two days old mac and cheese but you can do it with refrigerated or freshly prepared.
This is a great bottom of the fridge recipe, I throw in vegetables I have left over and cheeses that are almost finished. Don't be afraid to experiment.
This is a great way to use one meal with kids and adults in the same house.