In our household, we are all snackers! Therefore, we are always looking for healthy alternatives to chips and candy. This hummus recipe is easy and super quick to make so when the craving strikes, I can get it on the table within 20 min. Its creamy and fresh and can be enjoyed with pita triangles or veggie sticks for a healthy snack option. It can also be smeared in sandwiches or topped with grilled meats for a filling meal.
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 cup of olive oil (less or more based on desired level of creaminess)
- 3 tablespoons of sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 lemon squeezed
- Sumac for garnish
- In a spice grinder, grind sesame seeds until they are a fine powder and set aside.
- In a pot of boiled water add one whole can of rinsed chickpeas, garlic, and baking soda and let boil for about 10 mins.
- Once boiled, wash the chickpeas. Fill the pot of chickpeas with cold water, the skins/shells of the chickpeas will rise to the top (discard of those). Do this several times until no more skins come to the top. Don't worry about getting all of the skins off, we are just trying to get out whatever we can so that we can get a smoother consistency.
- Blend together the boiled chickpeas and garlic, ground sesame seeds, oil, salt and juice from half a lemon until its creamy and smooth. Add your oil in batches, you might need more or less based on your blender and the consistency you like.
- Top with a dash of sumac if you have and enjoy!